A Birth Doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides continuous emotional, physical, and educational support to an individual who is expecting, is experiencing labor, or has recently given birth. Their purpose is to help birthing people have a safe, memorable, and empowering birthing experience.
There are many needs that doulas meet. Birth Doulas:
- provide necessary advocacy on a local, national and international level for marginalized groups that our current system does not protect, such as people of color and queer people.
- create a culture of trust and autonomy by supporting people through the full spectrum of pregnancy experiences and outcomes.
- provide unbiased doula support for all reproductive experiences without judgment.
- provide education and resources that are not commonly found but are needed.
- provide a philosophy of care, choice & justice!
As a result, doula-assisted births boast many benefits. Clients report increased knowledge of options and resources, reduced use of pain relief medications, shorter labor, higher chances of successful breast/chestfeeding, and a reduction in cesarean sections. Additionally there are emotional benefits to choosing a doula-assisted birth including less stress and anxiety during labor, less postpartum mood disorders, increased partner involvement and generally more positive childbirth experiences.
When you choose a doula from For the VIllage, you can trust that your doula has been trained in full spectrum, trauma-centered, and inclusive care.
Each FTV birth includes a:
- A trained doula
- 2 prenatal visits: meeting your doula and creating your birth plan
- Birth attendance: continuous support during your entire labor and delivery
- 2 postpartum visits: check-ins with your doula following the birth of your child
Prenatal visits create an opportunity for the doula to:
- Bond with their client
- Provide education for client and support people
- Access a client’s needs
- Share resources
- Review Prenatal form
- Create/Review birth plan
- Discuss all options and possible outcomes
- Create a Postpartum Care Plan
Postpartum visits create an opportunity for the doula to:
- Assist client with processing their birth story
- Provide education
- Screen a client for postpartum mood disorders
- Share resources
- Review the postpartum plan
- Refer the client if needed for additional support w/Lactation or mental health
- Have the client complete their postpartum form/or help them complete it.
In the midst of the pandemic, all of our services are available virtually as well. To learn more about how you can get a doula for your birth please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.