Fighting for Reproductive Justice One Birth At A Time
For The Village provides FREE doula services to all families in the San Diego area with an emphasis on marginalized groups – people of color, LBGTQIA, and low-income families.
What We Do
For The Village has trained over 60 San Diego community members as Full Spectrum birth workers. We offer classes such as Lactation Education, Childbirth Education, and Postpartum Planning to educate everyone who wants to learn.
As Full Spectrum Certified Doulas, we serve the San Diego area, actively practicing being open and aware of the diverse reproductive needs and experiences people have, in light of their identity, background, preferences, and lived experiences. Since opening, we have helped to assist over 300 families!
If we’re not attending a birth or teaching a class, it’s most likely we are advocating for marginalized groups in the San Diego area. We want to support EVERYONE in their birthing journeys with an emphasis on people of color, LGBTQIA, black and brown immigrants, and low income families.
Why is Reproductive Justice So Important?
Number of Women That Die Each Year In The US As A Result of Pregnancy or Delivery Complications
Number of Deaths That Occur Due to Pregnancy or Delivery Complications That Are Preventable
Mortality Rate of Black Women Per 100,000 Live Births, according to 2020 CDC data.
How Can You Help?
Educate. Serve. Advocate.
Educating yourself about the disparities in the reproductive world is vital in the fight for reproductive justice. To get started, head to our Resources page for articles, partnerships, and recommendations.
If you’re ready to take action and become a Full Spectrum Doula with For The Village, head to our Become a Doula information page:
Help us in the fight for reproductive justice by advocating during events, programs, rallies, and classes. Head to our Calendar page to find out more:
Let Us Educate You
Our Most Recent Posts
- Navigating Postpartum: How a Doula Can Help You During the Fourth TrimesterThe postpartum period, also known as the fourth trimester, is a time of significant adjustment for new parents. While the focus during pregnancy is often on the physical changes that are happening, the postpartum period can be equally challenging, bothContinue reading “Navigating Postpartum: How a Doula Can Help You During the Fourth Trimester”
- Preparing for a Summer Birth: Tips and Tricks from Our DoulasSummer is a popular time for babies to be born, with warm weather and longer days providing the perfect backdrop for new beginnings. However, preparing for a summer birth can also present unique challenges, from staying cool during labor toContinue reading “Preparing for a Summer Birth: Tips and Tricks from Our Doulas”
- Breaking Barriers: How Doula Care Can Address Health Disparities in Underserved CommunitiesPregnancy and childbirth are transformative experiences that can be both joyous and challenging. Unfortunately, not all families have equal access to quality care during this critical time. In the United States, maternal and infant health outcomes vary widely by raceContinue reading “Breaking Barriers: How Doula Care Can Address Health Disparities in Underserved Communities”
- Reported by KPBS: Doulas Seen As Key to Battling Maternal, Infant Death Among San Diego’s Black CommunityRead more here.
- How to choose the right doula for youIn 2019, it’s almost certain that any pregnant person with a smartphone and an Instagram account knows what a doula is (a non-medical childbirth support person, for any latecomers). A doula can accompany pregnant women through the transformative process of pregnancy,Continue reading “How to choose the right doula for you”
- Nonprofit addresses racial, economic disparities in pregnancy-related deaths with free doula servicesBlack women among the most vulnerable population to benefit from doula-assisted births SAN DIEGO — Ten little toes wiggled on Jeanetra Deshotel’s lap while she sat in the living room of her Point Loma home. “Can we get a smileContinue reading “Nonprofit addresses racial, economic disparities in pregnancy-related deaths with free doula services”